The Perioperative Cognitive Anesthesia Network (PeCAN) is an interdisciplinary enterprise at UF Health Shands Hospital where anesthesiologists, neuropsychologists, geriatric medicine specialists, surgeons, and nurses plan patient care prior to surgery.
PeCAN was established in August of 2017 as part of the Presurgical Center to be a clinical-training-research program designed to address the needs of older adults at-risk for poor postoperative outcomes.
Anesthesia staff administer a quick cognitive screener to all adults over the age of 65 presenting for elective surgery. Older adults believed to be at risk for cognitive change following surgery are referred to a preoperative neuropsychologist for a neurobehavioral examination. The neuropsychologist is responsible for alerting anesthesiologists, surgeons, and primary care physicians about the patients’ cognitive status and a potential vulnerability for cognitive change.
On average, 30 to 40 patients are seen a week. PeCAN has so far evaluated over 1300 adults over the age of 65 with suspected cognitive impairment.
A unique component of the PeCAN program is the broader goal of interdisciplinary training for anesthesiology, neuropsychology, geriatric medicine, neuroscience, surgeons, and biomedical engineering. To this end, residents and medical students at the UF College of Medicine attend periodic lectures on the utility and administration of cognitive screeners.
- the rationale for incorporating cognitive tools into preoperative settings
- the cognitive profile and behavioral presentation of highly prevalent neurodegenerative conditions (e.g., Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease)
The PeCAN program is based on extensive research indicating that preoperative cognitive and brain health are risk factors for negative postoperative cognitive decline.
We are located at UF Health Shands Hospital:
- 1600 SW Archer Rd., Gainesville, FL 32608 Suite 1111
- Acute Pain
- Ambulatory Anesthesia
- Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology
- Congential Heart Anesthesiology
- Critical Care Medicine
- Liver & Transplant Anesthesiology
- Multispecialty Anesthesia
- Obstetric Anesthesiology
- Pain Medicine
- Pediatric Anesthesiology
- Perioperative Cognitive Anesthesia Network
- Perioperative Medicine
- Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine Clinic
- Vascular Anesthesia