Welcome to the Division of Cardiothoracic Anesthesia at the University of Florida.
Our group of anesthesiologists works in concert with the Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery to provide the highest quality patient care available for a wide variety of adult and pediatric heart, lung, and major vascular surgeries in a number of different venues. The majority of these procedures are performed at UF Health Shands Hospital at the University of Florida, a tertiary referral center. As many services available at UF Health Shands are not offered in community hospitals, the emphasis at this location is focused on some of the more complex operations for patients frequently sent from our colleagues throughout the Southeast.
Surgical procedures performed at Shands include:
- congenital cardiac procedures
- primary & preoperative high-risk coronary bypass
- cardiac valvular procedures
- open & stent graft repairs of acute and chronic processes involving the thoracic aorta
- open and thoracoscopic lung surgeries
- heart & lung transplants
- percutaneous aortic valves
- other minimally invasive cardiac and thoracic procedures
Physicians in our division also provide 24-hour coverage of the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit.
UF Health is one of the few medical centers statewide with the availability of bi-ventricular cardiac assist devices that can be surgically placed as destination therapy or as a bridge to transplantation or recovery. We are similarly a referral center for individuals who refuse blood products around the time of major cardiac or thoracic procedures for religious reasons.
Malcom Randall VA Medical Center
Our second location, directly across the street from UF Health, is the Malcom Randall Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Members of our department at this location expertly provide anesthesia for our country’s service men and women in the form of coronary artery revascularization, cardiac valvular replacement and repair, and pulmonary resections.
- Acute Pain
- Ambulatory Anesthesia
- Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology
- Congential Heart Anesthesiology
- Critical Care Medicine
- Liver & Transplant Anesthesiology
- Multispecialty Anesthesia
- Non-OR Anesthesia
- Obstetric Anesthesiology
- Pain Medicine
- Pediatric Anesthesiology
- Perioperative Cognitive Anesthesia Network
- Perioperative Medicine
- Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine Clinic
- Vascular Anesthesia