Anesthesiology Faculty and Staff Step Up to Help at Springhill 2 Vaccination Site

The COVID-19 pandemic has created an immense amount of challenges, and our department has selflessly stepped up to help. Most recently, our department has mobilized to help with the ongoing vaccination efforts at the Springhill 2 site.

Doctor Giordano at the vaccination site

Each Wednesday, our department is helping to staff this site to keep our community safe and stop the spread of COVID-19. Faculty, residents, RNs, and staff are scheduled in 4-hour shifts from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Non-clinical staff are helping with traffic control, parking, greeting, and walking up to cars ensuring that those who have been vaccinated are doing well and not suffering any adverse effects of the vaccine.

“Beyond contributing to an important cause that will have real, positive consequences for our community, it was also a great way to interact with other UF Health employees that I don’t typically get to see, and I enjoyed the brief yet meaningful interactions I had with patients,” said Brandon Peckham, MHA, Manager of Perioperative Analytics, who volunteered as an observer on Jan. 13.

Joyce Myers, MBA, Assistant Director of Academic Administration, also volunteered as an observer on Jan. 13 and said she was grateful for the opportunity to serve the community.

“I wanted to do something even if I couldn’t be a frontline worker,” she said. “As an observer, directing traffic, I cheerfully waved to each car that passed. Some people in the cars stopped to ask for directions while others read the many signs that helped tell patients which way to proceed for their vaccination.”

A sincere thank you to everyone who has volunteered to help in this ongoing effort to keep our community safe and healthy!