During this rotation, you will have the opportunity to learn about core concepts such as neurophysiology, airway management, positioning, and monitoring a patient’s nervous system function under anesthesia.
Your knowledge of anesthetic pharmacology will expand to include the care of neurosurgical patients.
Many residents find this rotation both challenging and rewarding.
Our neuroanesthesiologists provide anesthesia care for a comprehensive spectrum of neurosurgical cases. About 4,500 patients undergo neurosurgical procedures each year at Shands at UF.
Surgeries span the spectrum of:
- Brain tumors (adult tumors, stereotactic biopsies, acoustic neuromas, pituitary tumors)
- Epilepsy surgery
- Neurovascular surgery (aneurysm clipping, arteriovenous malformations, Moyamoya disease, extracranial-intracranial bypass operation)
- Movement disorder surgery
- Cerebral Aneurysm
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Pediatric Neurosurgery (Chiari Malformation, Craniosynostosis), Spina bifida, (Scoliosis)
- Endovascular Neurosurgery (aneurysm coiling, arteriovenous malformations), treatment of vasospasm, stenting procedures, stroke
- Deep Brain Stimulation
- Complex Spine Surgery
- Pediatric Brain and spinal cord tumors