This rotation is designed to develop competent, compassionate practitioners of cardiac anesthesia.
The rotation generally spans two months, and is for CA-2 or CA-3 residents.
In general, residents completing this rotation are expected to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of cardiovascular anesthesia (anesthesia for the patient with cardiovascular disease) and the skills for lifelong continuing education
- Technical and monitoring skills necessary to cardiovascular anesthesia practice
- Judgement and skills, including planning, necessary to deliver cardiovascular anesthesia
- The ability to administer anesthesia for a wide variety of cardiothoracic cases and interest in further learning
- An understanding of the major issues in the perioperative care of a child with congenital heart disease