Robert Glaser Loeb, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Phone: (352) 273-8960
Dr. Robert “Butch” Loeb joined the department in March 2017 as a Professor of Anesthesiology. He previously was on the faculty of the University of California, Davis and for the past 20-years was at the University of Arizona, where he is now an Associate Professor Emeritus. Dr. Loeb is also a member of the Cognitive Engineering Research Group at The University of Queensland, Australia, where he holds an appointment as an Honorary Research Associate Professor.
Dr. Loeb is licensed to practice medicine in Florida, Arizona, and California. He is certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Since 2003, he has been recognized as one of the Best Doctors in America®. Dr. Loeb is a member of the department’s Multispecialty Anesthesiology section, and has a special interest in anesthesia for pediatric, ENT, ambulatory, and out-of-OR procedures.
Dr. Loeb’s teaching and research expertise is in the anesthesia equipment, anesthesia monitoring, and anesthesia human factors. He chairs the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) Committee on Equipment and Facilities, is a former president of the Society for Technology in Anesthesia (STA), and has been a member of the Federal Drug Administrations (FDA) Anesthesiology and Respiratory Therapy Devices Panel. He has given numerous lectures at national meetings, written more than 10 chapters in major anesthesia textbooks, and published over 30 peer-reviewed research articles.
|1987||Research Fellowship, Department of Anesthesiology||University of Utah||Sale Lake City, UT|
|1986||Residency, Department of Anesthesiology||University of Virginia||Charlottesville, VA|
|1984||Internship, Department of Family Practice||University of Maryland||Baltimore, MD|
|1983||M.D.||University of Maryland||Baltimore, MD|
|1978||B.S.||University of Maryland||College Park, MD|
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- International Anesthesia Research Society
- Association of University Anesthesiologists
- Society for Technology in Anesthesia
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society – Affiliate
- National Fire Protection Association
Honors & Awards
- Elected, Association of University Anesthesiologists 2001
- Selected as one of the Best Doctors in America® 2003-2015
- Voted Anesthesiologist of the Year 2006 by the Southern Arizona Chapter of the Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN)
- Loeb RG, Dekker SWA. Editorial. Post-Anesthesia Care Handovers: Context and controversy around communication and consistency. Anesthesia and Analgesia 121:854–856, 2015
- Hinckfuss K, Sanderson P, Loeb RG, Liley HG, Liu D. Novel pulse oximetry sonifications for neonatal oxygen saturation monitoring: A laboratory study. Human Factors 58:344-59, 2016.
- Loeb RG, Brecknell B, Sanderson P. The sounds of desaturation: A survey of commercial pulse oximeter sonifications. Anesthesia and Analgesia. 122:1395-1403, 2016.
- Paterson E, Sanderson PM, Paterson NAB, Liu D, Loeb RG. The effectiveness of pulse oximetry sonification enhanced with tremolo and brightness for distinguishing clinically important oxygen saturation ranges: A laboratory study. Anaesthesia 71:565-572, 2016.
- Deschamps ML, Sanderson P, Hinckfuss K, Browning C, Loeb RG, Liley H, Liu D. Improving the detectability of oxygen saturation level targets for preterm neonates: A laboratory test of tremolo and beacon sonifications. Applied Ergonomics 56:160-9, 2016.
- Hickling A, Brecknell B, Loeb RG, Sanderson P. Monitoring multiple patients with a sequence of earcons. Human Factors 59:268-288,2017.
- Loeb RG, Cannesson M. Editorial. Closed loop anesthesia: Ready for prime time? Anesthesia and Analgesia 124:381-382, 2017.