Residents & Fellows
The academic year is subdivided into 13 four-week blocks for residents and 12 one month blocks for fellows.
In each of these blocks, residents may be assigned to any of the units for which we provide coverage.
These units include:
- Trauma ICU
- Surgical ICU
- Cardiovascular ICU
- Neuro ICU
Residents and fellows are fully integrated into our teaching and care teams which are supplemented by Advanced Practice Providers. These highly trained professionals provide continuity and enhance educational experience of our trainees. This is designed to provide the breadth and depth that is required if one is to be involved in the care of the critically ill.
We have daily work and teaching rounds accompanied by daily lectures. Critical Care Grand Rounds are interdisciplinary including Pulmonology, Surgery, and Anesthesiology and are held every Thursday at noon. The Critical Care Medicine Journal Club is held monthly.
Teaching Resources to Accomplish Objectives
2000+ patients per year requiring care in the following areas:
- General and plastic surgery
- Multiple trauma
- Spinal operations and craniotomy (especially neurovascular patients)
- Closed head trauma
- Neurovascular patients undergoing endovascular treatment of their lesions
- Orthopedic surgery
- Transplantation (heart, lung, renal, liver, and pancreas)
- Gynecology and Gynecologic-oncology
- Vascular surgery
- Endovascular surgery
- Cardiac Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive
- Plastic surgery – Major flaps
- Burn patients
- Daily ICU conferences
- Reading lists from critical care texts
- Video teaching resources