Chief, Division of Vascular Anesthesia
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology
Assistant Dean for Office of Diversity and Health Equity
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Phone: (352) 273-7094
Dr. Albert R. Robinson III is a Diplomate for the American Board of Anesthesiology and is certified in advanced perioperative transesophageal echocardiography. Dr. Robinson graduated from The University of Florida, in 1997, with high honors in electrical engineering and a minor in chemistry. In 2001, he earned his medical doctor (M.D.) from The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He completed his internship and anesthesiology residency training at The University of Maryland Medical System. Dr. Robinson went on to complete cardiovascular anesthesiology fellowship training at the Texas Heart Institute. He joined the University of Florida College of Medicine faculty in 2006 as a practicing cardiovascular anesthesiologist and is board certified in anesthesiology and advanced perioperative trans-esophageal echocardiography.
Dr. Robinson is a skilled professor; teaching and training anesthesiology residents and fellows along with medical students in cardiac, thoracic, and vascular anesthesiology. He teaches the fundamentals of anesthesiology and the concepts of hemodynamic monitoring in the Anesthesiology Life Support Skills and Perioperative Medicine Course.
Dr. Robinson is a superb clinician and teacher as he was awarded the T.W. Andersen Teacher of the Year Award in 2006-07 and the UF COM Exemplary Teachers Award in 2009-10 and 2010-11. Currently, Dr. Robinson is actively involved in patient care, teaching, and research. Dr. Robinson’s clinical interest includes heart valve surgery, heart and lung transplantation, and complex aorta aneurysm surgery. His research interests focus on evaluating evidence-based simulation models in medical education and using high fidelity human and part-task patient simulator to improve patient safety. He is active in mentoring residents and fellows on the cardiovascular anesthesiology rotations. Additionally, he works hard to promote increasing healthcare workforce diversity in his role as assistant dean in the Office for Diversity and Health Equity.
|2001||MD||Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine||Baltimore, MD|
|2002||Internship, Internal Medicine||University of Maryland Medical System||Baltimore, MD|
|2005||Residency, Anesthesiology||University of Maryland Medical System||Baltimore, MD|
|2006||Fellowship, Cardiovascular Anesthesiology||Texas Heart Institute||Houston, TX|
|2012||Master Educator in Medical Education||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainvesville, FL|
Cardiovascular anesthesiology, medical education
Awards and Honors
|2012||3rd Prize Best Poster Presentation, 2012 Anesthesiology Celebration of Research, University of Florida College of Medicine|
|2012||Who’s Who in America, Marquis|
|2011||1st Prize Best Scientific and Educational Exhibit, American Society of Anesthesiologists|
|2010||Office of Educational Affairs, Exemplary Teachers Award, University of Florida College of Medicine|
|2010||Physician Customer Service Key award, Shands & UF Reward and Recognition Team|
|1997-2001||Dean’s Fund Scholarship, Johns Hopkins University|
|1997||Phi Kappa Phi – National Honor Society, The University of Florida|
|1996||Schlumberger Fellowship, The University of Florida|
|1995||College of Engineering, Van Dorn Scholarship, The University of Florida|
|195||Barry M. Goldwater Scholar, The University of Florida|
|1995||College of Engineering Dean’s List, The University of Florida|
|1994||High Distinction Anderson Scholar, The University of Florida|
|1993||President’s Honor Roll, The University of Florida|
|1992||President’s Honor Roll, The University of Florida|
- Lampotang S, Bova FJ, Lizdas DE, Rajon DA, Friedman WA, Robinson AR III, Luria I, Schwab WK, Gravenstein N: A subset of mixed simulations: augmented physical simulations with virtual underlays. Interservice/Industrial Training, Simulation, and Education Conference 2012. Paper No. 12077, 11 pages. (Refereed Proceedings)
- Robinson AR, Holbert R, Modell JH, Gravenstein N: Continuous transthoracic echocardiography in a 93 year-old patient with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy during electroconvulsive therapy. J of ECT, 27(3): 224-226, September 2011.
- Grobmyer SR, Filichia L, Robinson AR, Clark TD, Vaughn K, Copeland EM, Hochwald SN: Use of an automated circuit for isolated limb infusion for malignancy. Eur J Surg Oncol, 36(12): 1215-1219, December 2010.
- Robinson AR, Robinson MS, Martin TD, Muehlschlegel JD, Peng YG: Intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography alters the surgical course for patients undergoing ascending aortic aneurysm repair. J Cardiothoracic Vasc Anesth, 23 (1): 71-74, February 2009.
- Robinson AR, Gravenstein N, Alomar-Melero E, Peng YG: Lung isolation using laryngeal mask airway and bronchial blocker in a patient with recent tracheostomy. J Cardiothoracic Vasc Anesth, 22(6): 883-886, December 2008.
- Robinson AR: Caution when positioning central venous catheter and its relationship to the pericardial reflection. J Cardiothoracic Vasc Anesth, 21 (6): 923-924, December 2007.