Timothy E. Morey, MD
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Phone: (352) 273-8870
After serving two years as interim chair, Dr. Timothy E. Morey has been named chair of the University of Florida College of Medicine’s Department of Anesthesiology.
Morey earned his bachelor’s degree in interdisciplinary basic biological science and medical sciences from the University of Florida in 1989. He then graduated from the UF College of Medicine in 1992 and was a resident physician in anesthesiology from 1992-1996. He has since held positions of increasing responsibility within the department, most recently interim chair of the department and chair of the medical staff for the department.
Morey was the associate chair of the department and chair of the department’s research committee from 2005-2013, a time that saw a significant increase in National Institutes of Health research funding.
As chair, Morey now oversees a department that includes nearly 70 clinical faculty members, 20 active research faculty members, 84 residents, 15 fellows, 50 certified registered nurse anesthetists and anesthesiology assistants, and a support and administrative staff approaching 40 people.
|1997||Fellowship, Anesthesiology||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
|1996||Residency, Anesthesiology||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
|1992||MD||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
Clinical anesthesiology, nanotechnology, particle science
Awards and Honors
|2012||Alachua County, Florida, Certificate of Appreciation, Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell for service in the I-75 Tragedy|
|2010||University of Florida, College of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology, Humanitarian Award for service at Hôpital Sacré Coeur, Milot, Haiti following earthquake|
|2010||Volunteer trip to Haiti (January 25-30, 2010): Ran the operating room at Sacre Coere Hospital, Milot, Haiti and performed anesthesia for earthquake victims|
|2009||Anesthesia and Analgesia Front Cover Art – Figure from manuscript “Rice MJ, Mancuso AA, Gibbs C, Morey TE, Gravenstein LA Deitte LA: Cricoid pressure results in compression of the postcricoid hypopharynx: the esophageal position is irrelevant.” Anesth Analg. November 2009 issue, was chosen by editor to be the cover art for the front cover.|
|2006||Anesthesiology Front Cover Art – Figure from manuscript “Morey TE, Modell JH, Shekhawat D, Grand T, Shah DO, Gravenstein N, Dennis DM: Preparation and anesthetic properties of propofol microemulsions in rat. Anesthesiology 104:1184-1190, was chosen by editor to be the cover art for the June 2006 issue.|
|1988-1989||University of Florida Junior Honors Medical Program|
|1996||University of Florida College of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology, T.W. Andersen Resident Research Award|
|1996||22nd Annual Gulf-Atlantic Anesthesia Residents’ Research Conference, Best Research Award, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL|
- Morey TE, Sappenfield JW, Gravenstein N, Rice MJ. Joint Commission and Regulatory Fatigue/Weakness/Overabundance/Distraction: Clinical Context Matters. Anesth Analg. 2015 Aug;121(2):394-6.
- Morey TE, Rice MJ, Gravenstein N. What is a reference standard? Anesth Analg. 2015 Jan;120(1):8-9.
- Rice MJ, Gravenstein N, Morey TE. Response to Al-Khabori M. et al.’s “validation of a non-invasive pulse CO-oximetry based hemoglobin estimation in normal blood donors,” Transfusion and Apheresis Science 2013 Nov 4. Accurate enough for blood donors? Not so fast. Transfus Apher Sci. 2014 Aug;51(1):83. doi: 10.1016/j.transci.2014.02.027. Epub 2014 Jul 24.
- Rice MJ, Gravenstein N, Morey TE. Screening for anemia: is this ready for prime time? Pediatr Int. 2014 Jun;56(3):438. doi: 10.1111/ped.12358.
- Morey TE, Rice MJ, Vasilopoulos T, Dennis DM, Melker RJ. Feasibility and accuracy of nasal alar pulse oximetry. Br J Anaesth. 2014 Jun;112(6):1109-14. doi: 10.1093/bja/aeu095. Epub 2014 Apr 15.
- Holroyd JL, Paulus DA, Rand KH, Enneking FK, Morey TE, Rice MJ. Universal intravenous access cleaning device fails to sterilize stopcocks. Anesth Analg. 2014 Feb;118(2):333-43.
- Rice MJ, Gravenstein N, Morey TE. Noninvasive hemoglobin monitoring: how accurate is enough? Anesth Analg. 2013 Oct;117(4):902-7. doi: 10.1213/ANE.0b013e31829483fb. Epub 2013 Jul 10.
- Remz M, Luria I, Gravenstein M, Rice SD, Morey TE, Gravenstein N, Rice MJ. Prevention of airway fires: do not overlook the expired oxygen concentration. Anesth Analg. 2013 Nov;117(5):1172-6.
- Martin JA, Parekh P, Kim Y, Morey TE, Sefah K, Gravenstein N, Dennis DM, Tan W. Selection of an aptamer antidote to the anticoagulant drug bivalirudin. PLoS One. 2013;8(3):e57341. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0057341. Epub 2013 Mar 6.
- Morey TE, Wasdo S, Wishin J, Quinn B, van der Straten A, Booth M, Gonzalez D, Derendorf H, Melker RJ, Dennis DM. Feasibility of a breath test for monitoring adherence to vaginal administration of antiretroviral microbicide gels. J Clin Pharmacol. 2013 Jan;53(1):103-11. doi: 10.1177/0091270011434157. Epub 2013 Jan 24.