Samsun Lampotang, PhD
Professor of Anesthesiology
Director, Center for Safety, Simulation & Advanced Learning Technologies, University of Florida College of Medicine
Director, Simulation Core of the UF Clinical & Translational Science Institute
Innovations Director, UF Heath Shands Experiential Learning Center
Affiliate Professor, Department of BioMedical Engineering
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Phone: (352) 273-5655
Dr. Samsun Lampotang is a Professor of Anesthesiology in the division of Research. He is also the Director of the Center for Simulation, Safety and Advanced Learning Technology at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. He received his PhD in mechanical engineering at the University of Florida, College of Engineering. His research interests are in simulation in healthcare, healthcare equipment, and the promotion of patient safety through enhancement of learning and improved equipment design.
Dr. Lampotang is part of the UF team that conceived the patented technology behind the Human Patient Simulator. The team’s simulation research shifted to what has become transparent reality simulation on the web in the form of the Virtual Anesthesia Machine (VAM) simulation. The simulation portfolio has become diversified to include airway devices, perioperative hemostasis, CVVH/dialysis, pharmacokinetics, and physics.
|1992||PhD, Mechanical Engineering||University of Florida College of Engineering||Gainesville, FL|
Simulation in healthcare; healthcare equipment; promotion of patient safety through enhancement of learning and improved equipment design.
Awards and Honors
|2011||Dr. Lampotang is part of the UF team that conceived the patented technology behind the Human Patient Simulator. The team’s simulation research shifted to what has become transparent reality simulation on the web in the form of the Virtual Anesthesia Machine (VAM) simulation. The simulation portfolio has become diversified to include airway devices, perioperative hemostasis, CVVH/dialysis, pharmacokinetics, and physics.|
- Danek G, Gravenstein N, Lizdas DE, Lampotang S. Prevalence of dependent loops in urinary drainage systems in hospitalized patients. J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. 2015 May-Jun;42(3):273-8. doi: 10.1097/WON.0000000000000137.
- Hooten KG, Lister JR, Lombard G, Lizdas DE, Lampotang S, Rajon DA, Bova F, Murad GJ. Mixed reality ventriculostomy simulation: experience in neurosurgical residency. Neurosurgery. 2014 Dec;10 Suppl 4:576-81; discussion 581. doi: 10.1227/NEU.0000000000000503.
- Jendrusch J, Lampotang S, Lizdas D, Gravenstein N, Ham D, Lok B, Quarles J. Virtual humans for inter-ethnic variability training in sedation and analgesia. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2014;196:175-81.
- Schwab WK, Lizdas DE, Gravenstein N, Lampotang S. Foley drainage tubing configuration affects bladder pressure: a bench model study. Urol Nurs. 2014 Jan-Feb;34(1):33-7.
- Sidi A, Baslanti TO, Gravenstein N, Lampotang S. Simulation-based assessment to evaluate cognitive performance in an anesthesiology residency program. J Grad Med Educ. 2014 Mar;6(1):85-92. doi: 10.4300/JGME-D-13-00230.1.
- Robinson AR 3rd, Gravenstein N, Cooper LA, Lizdas D, Luria I, Lampotang S. A mixed-reality part-task trainer for subclavian venous access. Simul Healthc. 2014 Feb;9(1):56-64. doi: 10.1097/SIH.0b013e31829b3fb3.
- Luria I, Lampotang S, Schwab W, Cooper LA, Lizdas D, Gravenstein N. Automated, real-time fresh gas flow recommendations alter isoflurane consumption during the maintenance phase of anesthesia in a simulator-based study. Anesth Analg. 2013 Nov;117(5):1139-47. doi: 10.1213/ANE.0b013e3182a08d90.
- Bova FJ, Rajon DA, Friedman WA, Murad GJ, Hoh DJ, Jacob RP, Lampotang S, Lizdas DE, Lombard G, Lister JR. Mixed-reality simulation for neurosurgical procedures. Neurosurgery. 2013 Oct;73 Suppl 1:138-45. doi: 10.1227/NEU.0000000000000113.
- Lampotang SS, Nelson DR, Hamstra SJ, Naik V. Efficacious versus effective: what’s in an adjective? Simul Healthc. 2013 Jun;8(3):191-2. doi: 10.1097/SIH.0b013e31829543d8.
- Lederman D, Lampotang S, Shamir MY. Automatic endotracheal tube position confirmation system based on image classification–a preliminary assessment. Med Eng Phys. 2011 Oct;33(8):1017-26. doi: 10.1016/j.medengphy.2011.04.006. Epub 2011 May 8.