Derek B. Covington, MD
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology
Director of the Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine Clinic
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Phone: (352) 273-8960
Dr. Covington is an Assistant Professor in the divisions of Multispecialty Anesthesiology, Perioperative Medicine, and Ambulatory Anesthesia. He came to us from the University of California Irvine School of Medicine, where he was an Assistant Clinical Professor of Anesthesiology and a Partner for SD Botox. He completed his Bachelor of Arts in Neuroscience, graduating Magna Cum Laude from the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, and earned his MD from the University of Nevada School of Medicine. Dr. Covington interned and completed his residency in Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine/Jackson Memorial Hospital. He also completed his fellowship at the University of California-San Diego in the Department of Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine.
Dr. Covington is the Director of the Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine Clinic at the University of Florida. The clinic provides medical services for all divers, from recreational to scientific to commercial. He is also a member of many professional academic societies such as the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, the American Society of Anesthesiologists, the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. Dr. Covington was the Medical Director for Dive Safety International and was one of two physicians on-site for long-distance swimmer Diana Nyad during her record-breaking swim from Havana, Cuba to Key West, Florida. He has published many lectures and journal articles.
Education and Training
|2016||Fellow, Department of Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine||University of California – San Diego||San Diego, CA|
|2015||Resident. Department of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine||University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital||Miami, FL|
|2013||Categorical Intern, Department of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine||University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital||Miami, FL|
|2011||MD||University of Nevada School of Medicine||Reno, NV|
|2006||BA, Neuroscience||University of Southern California||Los Angles, CA|
Honors and Awards
|2015||Resident Research Award, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Miami|
|2013||Physician on-site for Dianna Nyad during record breaking swim from Cuba to FL|
|2011||Outstanding Male in Academic Achievement, University of Nevada School of Medicine|
|2011||Dean’s Scholar Award, University of Nevada School of Medicine|
|2010||Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society|
|2010||Outstanding Male Student in Clinical Sciences, University of Nevada School of Medicine|
|2009||Outstanding Student in the Basic Sciences, University of Nevada School of Medicine|
|2008||Outstanding Freshman Medical Student, University of Nevada School of Medicine|
|2008||V.A. Salvadorini Research Fellowship Award|
|2008||AOA Carol L Kuckein Student Research Fellowship Award|
Professional Society Memberships
- 2011 – Present Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS)
- 2010- Present Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society
- 2010-Present American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA)
- Kalangara JP, Galor A, Levitt RC, Covington DB, McManus KT, Sarantopoulos CD, Felix ER. Characteristics of Ocular Pain Complaints in Patients With Idiopathic Dry Eye Symptoms. Eye Contact Lens. 2016 Feb 29. [Epub ahead of print]
- Galor A, Covington D, Levitt AE, McManus KT, Seiden B, Felix ER, Kalangara J, Feuer W, Patin DJ, Martin ER, Sarantopoulos KD, Levitt RC. Neuropathic Ocular Pain due to Dry Eye is Associated with Multiple Comorbid Chronic Pain Syndromes. J Pain. 2016 Mar;17(3):310-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2015.10.019. Epub 2015 Dec 1.
- Benglis D Jr, Covington D, Bhatia R, Bhatia S, Elhammady MS, Ragheb J, Morrison G, Sandberg DI. Outcomes in pediatric patients with Chiari malformation Type I followed up without surgery. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2011 Apr;7(4):375-9. doi: 10.3171/2011.1.PEDS10341.
- Covington DB, Rosenblum MK, Brathwaite CD, Sandberg DI.b Angiocentric glioma-like tumor of the midbrain. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2009;45(6):429-33. doi: 10.1159/000277616. Epub 2010 Jan 26.