Nikolaus Gravenstein, M.D., the Jerome H. Modell, M.D., Professor of Anesthesiology, has received the 2022 David A. Paulus Award for Clinical Excellence in recognition of his outstanding accomplishments!
The award is given annually to a UF College of Medicine faculty member who best demonstrates the ideals of clinical excellence that Paulus embodied, including making a difference for patient care, maintaining an unfailing moral compass, engaging at every level of patient care, and championing teamwork.
The award has special significance this year: Paulus worked as an anesthesiologist for 35 years at UF Health. During that time, he worked closely with J.S. Gravenstein, M.D., his mentor, and Nik Gravenstein to design and teach a course for engineers and marketing personnel on anesthesia products to improve patient safety. Paulus died in 2012.
Gravenstein’s numerous accomplishments stood out among the many faculty who were nominated for the award. They included his:
- Dedication to creating a culture of patient-centered care in the Department of Anesthesiology
- Commitment to treating every patient with compassion and respect
- Service in the UF Equal Access Clinic
- Initiative to make conscious sedation safer throughout the hospital via simulation
- Fair and systems-based approach to handling sentinel events
- Service as medical director for the Florida Academic Healthcare Patient Safety Organization and the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Remediation and Education Services
The award was presented during the UF College of Medicine 2022 Spring Faculty Appreciation Reception on Monday, April 25.
Congratulations, Dr. Gravenstein!
Honoring long-time service to UF
Also at the ceremony, Jerry J. Berger, M.D., associate professor of anesthesiology, was honored for 40 years of service to the university. F. Kayser Enneking, M.D., professor of anesthesiology and orthopaedics and interim associate chair of research, was honored for 30 years of service.
Please help us congratulate Drs. Berger and Enneking on this outstanding achievement in recognition of their years of hard work and numerous contributions to our field!