Challenges & new opportunities: An interview with our Pain Medicine Practice Manager

Trina Emerson

Trina Emerson joined the Department of Anesthesiology as Practice Manager of UF Health Pain Medicine Springhill in March. She came to us with a strong background in healthcare administration, having most recently served as Senior Clinical Financial Manager at Florida Cancer Specialists.

Below, we caught up with her about how this new role is going and developments in the Pain Medicine Division.

How is everything going for you in this role now that you’ve been here for about 4 months?

Joining the pain medicine group has been an amazing journey so far! I have really enjoyed my time here. We are busy and almost back to full staff. I am learning something new each and every day, which I believe I should.  Healthcare is a revolving door and with new technologies and new research, we should learn every day.

You joined us right around when the pandemic hit. What types of challenges/opportunities did this pose to the pain operation?

My second day in the clinic is when all elective procedures and surgeries stopped. While some may think this would have been a challenge, I believe it was a great opportunity for me. I was able to shadow with every staff member and learn what their position entailed. I also feel this also allowed me to get to know them on a more personal basis, which I feel is very important. It gave me time to understand EPIC, policies and procedures, and the flow of the clinic. Once we were able to start back doing procedures and surgeries, I was able to learn the role of the surgical coordinators and shadow at Ayers on several occasions. We have been very busy with Sandra Victor, MD, joining our team on July 1 and I anticipate we will continue to grow and expand our services when Matthew Meroney, MD, joins our team as faculty in September. 

What goals/future projects do you have going forward for the pain division?

My future goals for the Pain Medicine Division are to market our clinic and expand our services to the Villages and surrounding areas and to expand our services here at the clinic. The clinic has two large procedure rooms and patient care areas that would allow us to do procedures. Patients are familiar with our office, our staff, and our location, and I feel this would be a great opportunity not only for the clinic, but also for our patients.   

You have an extensive background in healthcare. What made you choose UF/what excited you about this opportunity?

It is crazy to think that I have been in healthcare for almost 30 years. I have always loved a challenge and the need to expand my knowledge. Working at UF Health has allowed me to learn a new area of healthcare. UF Health enables me and all its employees to be on the cutting edge of research, have the best technology, and work for an institution that ranks among the best health centers in the state of Florida and the nation. These are just a few reasons that I chose UF Health and why I would recommend it to my family and friends.        

What do you hope prospective patients know about the pain division here?

We have a wonderful team here at the Pain Medicine clinic. The physicians and APRNs care about their patients and put their best interests first. They listen attentively and empathetically and show compassion. The staff treat our patients like they are family and I believe that is one of the most important attributes we have here at the pain medicine clinic.