Megan Koenig: Thoughts from a Research Coordinator

By Megan Koenig

As a Clinical Research Coordinator for the Department of Anesthesiology, I have had the opportunity to understand clinical care and to play a role in the discovery of innovative techniques. My involvement began over three years ago as a Research Assistant while I was an undergraduate student here at the University of Florida. During this time, I have accumulated an abundance of research knowledge and skills, and I recently had the opportunity to deliver an oral presentation at this year’s Department of Anesthesiology Celebration of Research Day. As I vacate this role, I believe that there are two cornerstones for a successful study within the department. The first is the necessity of planning, which decreases wasted time and resources during the life of a study. The second springs from my experience working alongside a variety of staff and faculty members: a successful Principal Investigator practices good communication, strong collaboration, and consistent involvement in his/her study. The level of Principal Investigator involvement can make or break a study and ultimately determine if the funds and effort will produce publishable results or a failed trial.

Thank you to the Department and Office of Research team for the opportunity and support. I am grateful for my many experiences and I will undoubtedly carry these skills with me as I begin medical school this August.

Back to GatorWorks