Each year a group of residents spend hours of their own time reading literature on developing leadership and professionalism skills during a seminar course called Decision-Making, Motivation, and Leadership.
Every other month they get together and discuss practical examples and key points discussed in the books as well as from journal articles.
This year the course hosted Dr. Tim Morey, Dr. Mike Good, Dr. Dave Quillen, Dr. Renard Sessions, and Dr. Nik Gravenstein. Their discussions focused on motivation and influence. The group read the following books:
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel H. Pink
- Driven: How Human Nature Shapes Our Choices by Paul R. Lawrence
- Influence: Science and Practice (5th Edition) by Robert B. Cialdini
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey
- Managing the Unexpected: Sustained Performance in a Complex World by Karl E. Weick and Kathleen M. Sutcliffe
Over 40 residents participated in this years DML Seminar over the year, and the below is a list of the residents who participated in all of the books.