Terrie Vasilopoulos Ph.D.
Department of Anesthesiology
College of Medicine, University of Florida
PO Box 100254
1600 SW Archer Road
Gainesville, FL 32610
Dr. Vasilopoulos joined the University of Florida in 2014 after completing postdoctoral training at the University of Chicago. Her research focuses on the relationship between cognitive function and physical health and the genetic and environmental factors that modulate this relationship. Currently, Dr. Vasilopoulos is examining how pulmonary function influences postoperative cognitive dysfunction in older adults. She is also broadly interested in individual differences in a variety of aging-related phenotypes.
In addition to her research program, Dr. Vasilopoulos also serves as a biostatistician for faculty in the Departments of Anesthesiology and Orthopedics and Rehabilitation at the University of Florida. Her statistical expertise and training spans both clinical and basic sciences as well as many diverse statistical areas, including longitudinal analysis, multilevel modeling, risk assessment, survival analysis, and structural equation modeling.
|2013||Postdoctoral scholar||Psychiatry and Behavioral Neuroscience||University of Chicago||Chicago, IL|
|2009||Ph.D.||Biobehavioral Health||Pennsylvania State University||University Park, PA|
|2005||B.S.||Biology (Psychology minor)||Saint Vincent College||Latrobe, PA|
Postoperative cognitive dysfunction, cognitive aging, gene-environment interactions, physical health (pulmonary function, cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, function capacity, inflammation)
Awards and Honors
2011-2013 – Individual National Research Service Award (NRSA)
Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Institute Aging, (NIA F32AG039954), Biopsychosocial Approaches to Healthy Aging.
- Vasilopoulos, T., Kremen, W.S., Grant, M.D., Panizzon, M.S., Xian, H., Toomey, R., Lyons, M.J., Jacobson, K.C., and Franz, C.E. (2015). Individual Differences in Cognitive Ability at Age 20 Predict Pulmonary Function 35 Years Later. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. March, 69(3), 261-265.
- Vasilopoulos, T., Chau D.F, Bensalem-Owen, M., and Fahy, B.G. (in press). Prior Podcast Experience Moderates Improvement in Electroencephalography Evaluation after Educational Podcast Module. Anesthesia and Analgesia.
- Fahy, B.G., Ford, S., Vasilopoulos, T. Gravenstein, D., Enneking, F.K. (in press). A Single Consent for Serial Anesthetics in Burn Surgery. Anesthesia and Analgesia.
- Vasilopoulos, T., Kotwal, A., Huisingh-Scheetz, M., Waite, L.J., McKlintock, M.K., and Dale, W. (2014). Chronic Conditions and Comorbidity in Wave 2 of the National Social Life, Health and Aging Project. Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences, November, 69(6): S154-165.
- Kremen, W.S., Jak, A., Spoon, K.M. Panizzon, M.S., Franz, C.E., Thomspon, W.K., Jacobson, K.C., Vasilopoulos, T., Vuoksimaa E., Xian, H., Grant, M.D., Toomey, R., and Lyons, M.J. (2014). Early Identification and Heritability of Early Mild Cognitive Impairment. International Journal of Epidemiology. Epub ahead of print.
- Kremen, W.S., Panizzon, M.S., Franz, C.E., Jacobson, K.C., Vasilopoulos, T., Vuoksimaa E., Xian, H., McCaffrey, J.M., Rana, B.K., Toomey, R., McKenzie, R., and Lyons, M.J. (2014). Genetic Complexity of Episodic Memory: A Twin Approach to Studies of Aging. Psychology and Aging, June, 29(2):404-417.
- Morey, T.E., Rice, M.J., Vasilopoulos, T., Dennis, D.M., and Melker, R.J. (2014). Feasibility and Accuracy of Nasal Alar Pulse Oximetry. British Journal of Anesthesiology, April, 112(6):1109-14.
- Panizzon, M.S., Vuoksimaa E., Spoon, K.M., Jacobson, K.C., Lyons, M.J., Franz, C.E., Xian, H., Vasilopoulos, T. and Kremen, W.S. (2014). Genetic and Environmental Influences of General Cognitive Ability: Is g a valid latent construct? Intelligence. April, 43:65-76.
- Vasilopoulos, T., Grant, M.D., Franz, C.E., Panizzon, M.S., Xian, H., Toomey, R., Lyons, M.J., Kremen, W.S. and Jacobson, K.C. (2013). Shared and distinct genetic influences among different measures of pulmonary function. Behavior Genetics. March, 43(2):141-150.
- Vasilopoulos, T., Kremen, W.S., Kim, K., Panizzon, M.S., Stein, P.K., Xian, H., Grant, M.D., Lyons, M.J., Toomey, R., Eaves, L.J., Franz, C.E. and Jacobson, K.C. (2012). Untreated hypertension decreases the heritability of cognition in late middle-age. Behavior Genetics, 42(1):107-120.
- Vasilopoulos, T., Panizzon, M.S., Xian, H., Grant, M.D., Lyons, M.J., Toomey, R., Franz, C.E., Kremen, W.S. and Jacobson, K.C. (2012). Genetic architecture of Delis-Kaplan Executive Function System (D-KEFS) Trail Making Test: Evidence for distinct genetic influences on executive function. Neuropsychology. March, 26(2), 238-250.
- Vasilopoulos, T., Mack, H.A., Vogler, G. P., McClearn, G.E., Berg, S., and Johansson, B. (2010). Stability of genetic influences on pulmonary function in a longitudinal study of octogenarian twins. American Journal of Human Biology, May; 22(3):375-7.
Dr. Vasilopoulos provides statistical consulting services for faculty in the Departments of Anesthesiology and Orthopedics and Rehabilitation at the University of Florida. These services include study design, data analysis, power/sample size determination, manuscript/presentation preparation, and grant writing. Please email for an appointment.