Sylvain Doré, PhD, FAHA
Professor of Anesthesiology, Neurology, Psychiatry, Psychology, Pharmaceutics and Neuroscience
Director of Research Programs, Department of Anesthesiology;
Investigator, McKnight Brain Institute and CTRND
Department of Anesthesiology
College of Medicine, University of Florida
PO Box 100254
1600 SW Archer Road
Gainesville, FL 32610
Phone: (352) 273-8952
Sylvain Doré, PhD is a Professor and Program Director of Research Operations in the Department of Anesthesiology, as well as Professor of Neurology, Psychiatry, Pharmaceutics, and Neuroscience, at the University of Florida, College of Medicine.
Dr. Doré attained his PhD, in biomedical science, from the University of Montreal and an MS degree in pharmacology at the University of Quebec. He received post-PhD training in psychiatry at McGill University, as well as post-PhD training in neuroscience at Johns Hopkins University.
Dr. Doré’s research pertains to studying new effective mechanisms that limit neuronal dysfunction associated with ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke, Alzheimer disease (AD), aging, and various other neurological disorders. His objective is focused on understanding the protective role of heme metabolites in the brain using cellular/molecular techniques and various models of stroke, Alzheimer disease, and aging. New knowledge is gained specifically, by investigating the action and the role of activity of the heme oxygenase enzyme and its unique bioactive metabolites, namely, carbon monoxide, iron, biliverdin, and bilirubin. His overall goal is to slow down the progression of the disease, and ultimately stop it.
Winning the Chairman Award for Outstanding Service and Dedication at the Department of Anesthesiology, University of Florida, is amongst his many accomplishments. He is involved in many ad hoc journal peer review activities and sits on the editorial board of multiple journals, including Frontiers in Neuroscience, Neurotoxicity Research, Faculty of 1000, World Journal of Cardiology, International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Translational Neuroscience, and International Journal of Clinical Anesthesiology.
Dr. Doré is a well-published author with over 126 scholarly publications mapping across 13 different disciplines. He has received many grant awards funding his research, and has filed patents for five intellectual properties.
|1999||Post-Doc – Neuroscience (Sol Snyder)||John Hopkins University||Baltimore, MD|
|1996||Post-Doc – Psychiatry (Rémi Quirion)||McGill University||Montreal, Canada|
|1994||PhD – Biomedical Sciences||University of Montreal||Montreal, Canada|
|1990||MS – Pharmacology||University of Quebec||Montreal, Canada|
|1988||BS – Biochemistry||University of Montreal||Montreal, Canada|
Neurodigenerative disorders, ischemic stroke, Alzheimer’s disease, aging, heme oxygenase, prostaglandins
|2014||University of Florida College of Medicine Exemplary Teachers Award|
|2014||FAHA Recognition for the American Heart and Stroke Association|
|2011||Chairman Award for Outstanding Service and Dedication to the Department of Anesthesiology|
- Leclerc JL, Blackburn S, Neal D, Mendez NV, Wharton JA, Waters MF, Doré S. Haptoglobin phenotype predicts the development of focal and global cerebral vasospasm and may influence outcomes after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015 Jan 12. pii: 201412833. [Epub ahead of print]
- Leonardo CC, Mendes M, Ahmad AS, Dore S. Efficacy of prophylactic flavan-3-ol in permanent focal ischemia in twelve-month-old mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2015 Jan 9:ajpheart.00239.2014. doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.00239.2014. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mohan S, Narumiya S, Doré S. Neuroprotective role of prostaglandin PGE2 EP2 receptor in hemin-mediated toxicity. Neurotoxicology. 2014 Nov 13. pii: S0161-813X(14)00182-X. doi: 10.1016/j.neuro.2014.10.012. [Epub ahead of print]
- Glushakov AV, Fazal JA, Narumiya S, Doré S. Role of the prostaglandin E2 EP1 receptor in traumatic brain injury. PLoS One. 2014 Nov 26;9(11):e113689. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0113689. eCollection 2014.
- Bickford JS, Ali NF, Nick JA, Al-Yahia M, Beachy DE, Doré S, Nick HS, Waters MF. Endothelin-1-mediated vasoconstriction alters cerebral gene expression in iron homeostasis and eicosanoid metabolism. Brain Res. 2014 Nov 7;1588:25-36. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2014.09.022. Epub 2014 Sep 16.
- Liu S, Zhen G, Li RC, Doré S. Acute bioenergetic intervention or pharmacological preconditioning protects neuron against ischemic injury. J Exp Stroke Transl Med. 2013 Feb 2;6:7-17.
- Hawkins KE, DeMars KM, Singh J, Yang C, Cho HS, Frankowski JC, Doré S, Candelario-Jalil E. Neurovascular protection by post-ischemic intravenous injections of the lipoxin A4 receptor agonist, BML-111, in a rat model of ischemic stroke. J Neurochem. 2014 Apr;129(1):130-42. doi: 10.1111/jnc.12607. Epub 2013 Dec 1.
- Glushakov AV, Robbins SW, Bracy CL, Narumiya S, Doré S. Prostaglandin F2α FP receptor antagonist improves outcomes after experimental traumatic brain injury. J Neuroinflammation. 2013 Oct 30;10:132. doi: 10.1186/1742-2094-10-132.
- Leonardo CC, Agrawal M, Singh N, Moore JR, Biswal S, Doré S. Oral administration of the flavanol (-)-epicatechin bolsters endogenous protection against focal ischemia through the Nrf2 cytoprotective pathway. Eur J Neurosci. 2013 Dec;38(11):3659-68. doi: 10.1111/ejn.12362. Epub 2013 Sep 23.
- Mohan S, Glushakov AV, Decurnou A, Narumiya S, Doré S. Contribution of PGE2 EP1 receptor in hemin-induced neurotoxicity. Front Mol Neurosci. 2013 Oct 7;6:31. doi: 10.3389/fnmol.2013.00031. eCollection 2013.
- Faraday N, Schunke K, Saleem S, Fu J, Wang B, Zhang J, Morrell C, Dore S. Cathepsin G-dependent modulation of platelet thrombus formation in vivo by blood neutrophils. PLoS One. 2013 Aug 5;8(8):e71447. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0071447. Print 2013.
- Singh N, Ma B, Leonardo CC, Ahmad AS, Narumiya S, Doré S. Role of PGE₂ EP1 receptor in intracerebral hemorrhage-induced brain injury. Neurotox Res. 2013 Nov;24(4):549-59. doi: 10.1007/s12640-013-9410-7. Epub 2013 Jul 4.