Donn M. Dennis, MD, FAHA
The JS Gravenstein MD Endowed Professor of Anesthesiology
Professor of Anesthesiology, and Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
Co-Director, Center for Nano-Bio Sensors
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Donn Dennis MD, serves as The Joachim S. Gravenstein, M.D. Endowed Professor of Anesthesiology at the University of Florida, College of Medicine. He is the Director, Nanomedicine, Co-Director, State of Florida Center of Excellence in Nano-Bio Sensing, and Chief Science Officer and Vice President of Scientific Affairs, Xhale, Inc.
Dr. Dennis received his MD from the University of Michigan. He completed his internship in the Translational Program at William Beaumont Hospital, and his residency and American Heart Association Fellowship in Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Electrophysiology at the University of Florida, College of Medicine.
As an innovator, Dr. Dennis has a long history of honors and awards. In 2012, Dr. Dennis received the distinction of Charter Fellow for the National Academy of Inventors. He is the co-inventor of intellectual property, HyGreen™, which received numerous awards, including the New Product Innovation Award in Infection Control by Frost and Sullivan, and the 2010 Medical Design Excellence Award. HyGreen™ was featured in Popular Science, Best of What’s New in 2009: Top Tech Awards, and the 100 Best Innovations of the Year.
He has held committee positions with innumerable societies, such as the Committee on Research and Committee on Scientific Papers for the American Society of Anesthesiologists, just to name a few. He was also the Chairman of their Sub-Committee on Experimental Circulation in 1995. Dr. Dennis currently is on the Board of Directors for the I. Heermann Anesthesia Foundation, and on the Science Advisory Board for the University of Florida’s Institute for Nanotechnology. He has also been a consultant to 11 pharmaceutical and venture capital companies.
|1992||American Heart Association Fellowship in Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Electrophysiology||Departments of Anesthesiology and Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
|1990||Residency, Anesthesiology||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
|1987||Internship, Transitional Program||William Beaumont Hospital||Royal Oak, MI|
|1986||MD||University of Michigan||Ann Arbor, MI|
Translational research, nanomedicine, drug research and development, Sensitization of the cardiomyocyte adenosine receptor system in the intact hearts, Modulation of myocardial A1 adenosine receptor stimulus-response coupling mechanism, Desensitization within the cardiac A1-adenosine receptor0effector pathway: a pharmacologic and quantitative analysis
Awards and Honors
|2010||Medical Design Excellence Award, HyGreen, Xhale and Robrady|
|2009||Best of What’s New Award, Xhale Innovations, Inc., HyGreen, Popular Science Magazine|
|2002||Endowed Chair, J.S. Gravenstein, MD, Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Florida College of Medicine|
|2001-Present||Fellow, American Heart Association|
|1997||Member, Association of University Anesthesiologists|
|1994||Best Research Award, Gulf-Atlantic Anesthesia Resident’s’ Research Conference|
|1994||First Prize for Original Research, Gulf-Atlantic Anesthesia Residents’ Research Conference|
|1994||First Prize Resident Research Essay Contest, American Society of Anesthesiologists|
|1993-1996||Initial Investigator Award, American Heart Association|
|1991-1993||Young Investigator Award, Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research/Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiolo|
Selected Patents Issued
|2011||Melker RJ, Gravenstein N, Dennis DM, Batich CD, 7,978,083 B2, Hand washing compliance sysMelker RJ, Gravenstein N, Dennis DM, Batich CD, 7,987,083, Hand washing compliance detection systemMelker RJ, Gravenstein N, Dennis DM, Batich CD, 7,914,460, Condensate Glucose Analyzer|
|2010||Melker RJ, Batich C, Gravenstein N, Dennis DM, 7,755,494, Hand washing compliance detection system|
|2009||Dennis DM, Martin CR, Varshney M, Morey TE, Shah DO, Partch RE, 7,563,613B2, Detoxification and decontamination using nanotechnology|
|2008||Dennis DM, Rogers R, 10820, Engineering and development of novel nanotubular systems for biomedical and industrial applications: ultra-selective drug delivery and release by functionalizing the nanotubule surface|
|2007||Dennis DM, Rogers R, 10820, Engineering and development of novel nanotubular systems for biomedical and industrial applications: ultra-selective drug delivery and release by functionalizing the nanotubule surface|
- Morey TE, Booth MM, Prather RA, Nixon SJ, Boissoneault J, Melker RJ, Goldberger BA, Wohltjen H, Dennis DM: Measurement of ethanol in gaseous breath using a miniature gas chromatograph. J Anal Toxicol 35(3): 134-142, April 2011.
- Morey TE, Modell JH, Garcia JE, Bewernitz M, Derendorf H, Varshney M, Gravenstein N, Shah DO, Dennis DM: Thromboelastographic and pharmacokinetic profiles of micro- and macro-emulsions of propofol in the pig. Biopharm Drug Dispos 31:269-277, 2010.
- Kim Y, Dennis DM, Morey T, Yang L, Tan W: Engineering dendritic aptamer assemblies as superior inhibitors of protein function. Chem Asian J 5:56-59, 2010.
- Bruijnzeel AW, Marcinkiewcz C, Isaac S, Both MM, Dennis DM, Gold MS: The effects of buprenorphine on fentanyl withdrawal in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 191:931-941, 2007
- Martynyuk AE, Ucar DA, Yang DD, Norman WM, Carney PR, Dennis DM, Laipis PJ: Epilepsy in phenylketonuria: a complex dependence on serum phenylalanine levels. Epilepsia 48:1143-1150, 2007.
- Martynyuk AE, Seubert CN, Yarotskyy V, Glushakov AV, Gravenstein N, Sumners C, Dennis DM. Halogenated derivatives of aromatic amino acids exhibit balanced antiglutamatergic actions: potential applications for the treatment of neurological and neuropsychiatric disorders. Recent Pat CNS Drug Discov 1: 261-270, 2006.
- Morey TE, Modell JH, Shekhawat D, Shah DO Klatt B, Thomas GP, Kero FA, Booth MM, Dennis DM: Anesthetic properties of a propofol microemulsion in dogs. Anesth Analg 103:882-887, 2006.
- Morey TE, Modell JH, Shekhawat D, Grand T, Shah DO, Gravenstein N, Dennis DM: Preparation and anesthetic properties of propofol microemulsions in rat. Anesthesiology 104:1184-1190, 2006.Jovanovic AV, Flint JA, Varshney M, Morey TE, Dennis DM, Duran RS: Surface modifications of silica core-shell nanocapsules: biomedical implications. Biomacromolecules 7:945-949, 2006.
- Gold MS, Melker RJ, Dennis DM, Morey TE, Bajpai LK, Pomm R, Frost-Pineda K. Fentanyl abuse and dependence: further evidence for second hand exposure hypothesis. J Addict Dis 25:15-21, 2006.
- Bruijnzeel AW, Lewis B, Bajpai LK, Morey TE, Dennis DM, Gold M: Severe deficit in brain reward function associated with fentanyl withdrawal in rats. Biol Psychiatry 59:477-480, 2006.