Our simulation center, the Center for Safety, Simulation & Advanced Learning Technologies (CSSALT), is endorsed to deliver Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology (MOCA) simulation sessions.
MOCA allows participants to demonstrate ongoing competency with advances in the field of medicine throughout their careers.
Today, UF is one of about 50 locations that offers a MOCA simulation course.
MOCA assures the public that physicians:
- Are up-to-date with knowledge of their specialties
- Hold unrestricted medical licenses
- Are respected in their practices by peers and patients
- Demonstrate professionalism as physicians
- Continually evaluate and improve their practices
CSSALT is part of the Simulation Education Network (SEN). SEN is a network of ASA-endorsed simulation programs held in centers across the country to deliver training to anesthesiologists.
Courses are designed to realistically recreate challenging clinical cases to allow participants to problem‐solve in a manner that is similar to actual clinical experience.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of fire triangle, risk factors, mitigation, response to fire, prevention, team communication to prevent.
- Pre-use anesthesia machine check
- Differential of PACU hypotension and desaturation
- Effective communication across the operative team during crisis/ adverse event
- Prioritization and Management of anaphylaxis in the operating room
This one-day course satisfies a requirement of the American Board of Anesthesiology’s (ABA) MOCA® program that encourages life-long learning. The ABA recognizes simulation training as an innovative, experiential, and contextual learning opportunity to assess and improve practice in areas such as crisis management at an American Society of Anesthesiologists-endorsed simulation center. Completion of our simulation course satisfies the Practice Performance Assessment and Improvement component in Part IV of the ABA’s MOCA® program.
Our target audience is broad and includes practicing anesthesiologists, anesthesiology residents, in addition we are also able to teach SRNAs, CRNAs, and AAs as well as medical, nursing and respiratory therapy students and paramedics. The program has also been used by the Florida Cares program to evaluate anesthesiologists who have had questions raised about their clinical competency by one of the state Boards of Medicine and by anesthesiologists returning to practice after voluntary absence such as extended maternity or medical leave. In addition the center also trains medical, nursing and dental students as part of their educational program and provides ACLS exercise training.
The American Society of Anesthesiologist (ASA) is the credentialing body for maintenance certification in Anesthesiology and is requiring this new program in order to maintain a current certification. This course and our facility has been certified by the ASA to be an approved course in maintaining the provider’s credentials.
ACCME Accreditation and Designation Statements
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint Providership of The American Society of Anesthesiologists and the University of Florida. The American Society of Anesthesiologists is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Society of Anesthesiologists designates this live activity for a maximum of 7 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Future MOCA Sessions
- Saturday, April 14, 2018 This session is full**
- Saturday, May 12, 2018 Click here to register for this session
- Saturday, July 21, 2018 Click here to register for this session
- Saturday, August 18, 2018 Click here to register for this session
- Saturday, September 29, 2018 Click here to register for this session
- Saturday, November 17, 2018 Click here to register for this session
- Saturday, December 1, 2018 Click here to register for this session
- Saturday, December 8, 2018 Click here to register for this session