Jerry A. Cohen, MD
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Phone: (352) 273-8960
Dr. Cohen came to the Department of Anesthesiology in 1977, after completing his residency and fellowship at Emory University. He was part of the original cardiac anesthesia division and served as its co-chief. He then served on the liver transplant team and was its chief for over a decade. His research interests included control of coagulation for cardiopulmonary bypass, the effects of acid-base balance on neuromuscular blockade and quality management.
His interest in quality management and patient safety led to several leadership roles in the UF Health system, including serving as Associate Chief of Staff for Quality Management, Chair of the Medical records Committee, and Chair of the Sedation Committee, Chair of the Unit Chiefs, Medical Care Evaluation Committee. He has also been quite active in advancing the interests of our patients and the practice of anesthesiology on a state and national level. He was a member of the Joint Commission’s Hospital Program Professional Technical Advisory Committee and served as its Vice-Chair and on the Joint Commission’s Standards and Survey Procedures Committee. He served as a delegate from the Florida Society of Anesthesiologists (FSA) to the House of Delegates of the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA), as a member of the FSA and ASA Board of Directors, and as President of the FSA and later as Chair of the ASA Section on Professional Standards, Chair of the ASA Section on Administration, and as President, Chairman of the Board and CEO of the ASA. During his term as President, he oversaw the initial plans for relocating the ASA headquarters, prioritized the advancement of the Perioperative Surgical Home concept, led the restructuring of ASA’s management and staff and coordinated ASA’s advocacy efforts related to federal and State legislation, and regulation. As an Executive Officer of ASA, he travelled internationally and spoke on the programs of over 3 dozen state and international anesthesia societies, the US Congress, and met with staff from the White House, Federal Trade Commission and the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services on behalf of the ASA. Dr. Cohen has served on many committees of ASA and currently Chairs the ASA Judicial Council.
He is also a member of the Board of the Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation. After serving on the Executive committee and Administrative Council and as President of ASA, Dr. Cohen continues to practice part-time in the Department of Anesthesiology.
|1977||Residency, Anesthesiology||Emory University Affiliated Hospitals||Atlanta, GA|
|1975||Fellowship, NIH, Division of Anesthesia Research||Department of Anesthesiology, Emory University||Atlanta, GA|
|1974||Rotating Internship, Anesthesiology Continuum||Emory University Affiliated Hospitals||Atlanta, GA|
|1973||MD||University of Miami School of Medicine||Miami, FL|
|1969||MS, Biology||Emory University Graduate School of Arts & Sciences||Atlanta, GA|
|1967||BA, Biology||Emory University||Atlanta, GA|
Liver Transplantation, control of coagulation, Perioperative Surgical Home
Awards and Honors
|President, American Society of Anesthesiologists||2011|
|Florida Society of Anesthesiologists Distinguished Service Award||2009|
|ASA Art Exhibit – Photography||Color Photography, 2008, Third Place, Honorable Mention, 2003 Second Place Digital Photography, 2002 First Place Color Photograph, 2001 Honorable Mention Digital Photography|
|American Society of Anesthesiologists||Third Place, Digital Photography, Wormsloe, 2003 Honorable Mention, Theme of the Exhibit, 2001 Resident Research Essay Contest, Third Prize, 1975|
|International Anesthesia Research Society, Scientific Exhibit, Third Award||1977|
|Georgia Society of Anesthesiologists, Resident Research Essay Contest, First Prize||1976 & 1975|
- Cohen JA, et al: The Manual for Anesthesia Department Organization and Management. American Society of Anesthesiologists, Park Ridge, Illinois. In press.
- Cohen JA: A year of Management transition, American Society of Anesthesiologists Newsletter, March, 2013.
- Cohen JA: It Pays to be Prepared, American Society of Anesthesiologists Newsletter, January 2012.
- Dutton, Cohen JA: Medication Shortages: Are We the iron Chefs or our Own Worst Enemies, Anesthesia and Analgesia, May 2011.
- Cohen JA: Defining Questions, Developing Answers: American Society of Anesthesiologists Newsletter, April, 2010.
- Cohen JA: ASA director’s report: medication management and the Joint Commission. FSA Today 52(1):6, 2009
- Cohen JA: How to prevent prescription drug abuse, addiction. Letter to the Editor. Gainesville Sun, May 29, 2009.
- Cohen JA, Lagasse RS, Eichhorn JH: Quality assurance and risk management, in Lobato EB, Gravenstein N, Kirby RR (eds): Complications in Anesthesiology, 3rd ed, Lippincott-Williams & Wilkins, 2008, pp 42-62.
- Cohen JA, Brull SJ, Maurer W: Quality management, regulation, and accreditation, in Twersky RS, Philip BK (eds): Handbook of Ambulatory Anesthesia, ed 2. New York, Springer, 2008, pp 371-395.
- Cohen JA, Maurer W, Brull S: The influence of regulatory and accreditation requirements, in Twersky R, Phillip B (eds): Quality Management in an Ambulatory Surgical Center. New York, Springer, 2008, pp 371-395.
- Cohen JA, Lagasse RS, Eichhorn JH: Management of quality, risk, and outcome, in Lobato EB Gravenstein N, Kirby RR (eds): Complications in Anesthesiology, ed 3. Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008, pp 42-62.