Stephen D. Lucas, MD
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Phone: (352) 273-8954
Dr. Stephen Lucas serves as the Associate Chair for Pain Medicine and is a Clinical Associate Professor of Anesthesiology in the University of Florida College of Medicine. He specializes in Pain Medicine and general anesthesiology.
Dr. Lucas received his Bachelor of Science degree from Florida State University and his Medical Degree from the University of Florida. After an internship in internal medicine he completed a residency in Anesthesiology at the University of Florida. He practiced Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine in private practice for 15 years before returning to the University of Florida to join the faculty. He has served the Department of Anesthesiology and UF Health in a number of roles. He was the Medical Director of Operating rooms and has served as the Chief of both the Acute Pain Medicine and Pain Medicine Divisions. He has also acted as the Fellowship Director of the Pain Medicine fellowship and is currently the Medical Director of UF Health Pain Management- Ayers and of Pain Medicine clinics. He is a fellow of the American Board of Pain Medicine. Dr. Lucas is interested in Neuromodulation for the treatment of chronic pain and in vertebral augmentation for compression fractures.
|1987||MD||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
|1988||Internship, Internal Medicine||Jacksonville Health Education Program||Jacksonville, FL|
|1991||Residency, Anesthesiology||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
Acute pain medicine, regional anesthesia, clinical anesthesiology
Awards and Honors
|2010, 2012||Customer Service is Key Award, Shands Hospital at the University of Florida|
|2008||Exceptional Transition-to-Practice Attending Award, Department of Anesthesiology, University of Florida College of Medicine|
|1987||Lucas-Bennet Award for Excellence in Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine|
|1983||Phi Beta Kappa|
- Lucas SD. Is Compartment Syndrome a Contraindication to Regional Anesthesia? Analg Resusc: Curr Res, 1:2 doi: 10.4172/2324-903X.10003103, 2012
- Tighe PJ, Lucas SD, Boezaart AP, Aytug H, Bihorac A: Use of Machine Learning Classifiers to Predict Preoperative Acute Pain Service Consult Request. Pain Med 13, 1347-1357, 2012.
- Le-Wendling L, Bihorac A, Ozrazgat-Baslanti T, Lucas S, Sadasivan K, Heyman J, Wendling A, Boezaart AP: Regional anesthesia as compared to general anesthesia for surgery in geriatric patients with hip fracture: does it decrease morbidity, mortality, and healthcare costs? Results of a single-centered study. Pain Med. doi: 10.1111/j.1526-4637.2012.01402.x. Epub 2012 Jul 3, 13(7): 948-956, July, 2012.
- Tighe PJ, Smith JC, Boezaart AP, Lucas SD: Social network analysis and quantification of a prototypical acute pain medicine and regional anesthesia service. Pain Med13(6): 808-819, 2012.
- Tighe PJ, Elliott CE, Lucas SD, Boezaart AP: Noninvasive tissue oxygen saturation determined by near-infrared spectroscopy following peripheral nerve block. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 55(10): 1239-1246, November 2011.
- Lucas SD, Higdon H, Boezaart AP: Unintended epidural placement of a thoracic paravertebral catheter in a patient with severe chest trauma. Pain Med 12(8):1284-1289, 2011.
- Boezaart AP, Lucas SD, Elliott CE: Paravertebral block: cervical, thoracic, lumbar, and sacral. Curr Opin Anesthesiol 22:637-643, 2009.
- Tighe PJ, Elliott C, Lucas S, Boezaart AP: Muscle oximetry determined by near-infrared spectroscopy following upper extremity nerve block. Anesthesiology 111:A573, 2009.