Steven A. Robicsek, MD, PhD
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Dr. Steven Robicsek completed his residency and fellowship in Anesthesiology at the University of Florida and has been on faculty since 2000. While his focus has been in the field of Neuroanesthesiology, he has an interest in anesthetic management of endovascular procedures. Dr. Robicsek has even developed a continuous spinal technique and clinical pathway for the management of endovascular thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysms that has been adopted by the Department of Anesthesiology for the majority of these procedures. He also covers both adult and pediatric emergent procedures. His clinical work has been focused in the field of neuroanesthesiology, both intracranial and spinal. In 2008, he became the principle investigator of a five-year NINDS grant to elucidate and characterize biomarkers of traumatic brain injury. His area of specialization includes neuroanesthesiology, traumatic brain injury, stroke, and vascular anesthesiology. Additionally, he is an excellent photographer who has taken many of the photos found on our website.
|2001||Clinical Fellow, Neuroanesthesiology||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
|1999||Residency, Anesthesiology||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
|1995||MD||School of Medicine and Health Sciences, George Washington University||Washington, DC|
|1992||Fellowship, Research||Department of Dermatology, Universitatsklinikum Rudolf Virchow Freie Universitat||Berlin, Germany|
|1990||PhD, Pharmacology and Therapeutics||University of South Florida College of Medicine||Tampa, FL|
Neuroanesthesiology, medical education
Awards and Honors
|University of Florida, Shands Hospital||UF Health Shands Physician Service Award||2013, 2014, 2015|
|Department of Anesthesiology, College of Medicine, University of Florida||Exemplary Teacher Award||2008, 2009, 2015, 2016|
|Gulf Atlantic Anesthesia Residents’ Research Conference||Oral presentation award||2000|
|Universitatsklinikum Rudolf Virchow, Berlin, Germany||Research Fellowship||1991|
|William Beaumont Research Society||Oral presentation award||1993|
|Florida Graduate Student Research Symposium||Oral presentation award||1989|
- Papa L, Robertson C, Wang K, Brophy G, Hannay HJ, Heaton S, Schmalfuss I, Gabrielli A, Hayes R, Robicsek S. Clinical and biomarker predictors of outcomes in non-penetrating severe traumatic brain injury. Neurocrit Care 22(1):52-64, 2015. [PMID:25052159]
- Mashour GA, Moore LE, Lele AV, Robicsek SA, Gelb AW. Perioperative Care of Patients at High Risk for Stroke after Non-Cardiac, Non-Neurologic Surgery: Guidelines from the Society for Neuroscience in Anesthesiology and Critical Care. SNACC Task Force on Perioperative Stroke. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 26: 273-85. [PMID:24978064] 1
- Rice D, Wang KK, Robicsek SA. Biomarkers of traumatic brain injury in the geriatric population. Tran Geriatr Gerontol Rep 1:129-134, 2012.
- Mondello S, Akinyi L, Büki A, Robicsek S, Gabrielli A, Tepas J, Papa L, Brophy G, Tortella FC, Hayes RL Wang KK: Clinical utility of serum levels of ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolase as a biomarker for severe traumatic brain injury. Neurosurgery 70:666-675, 2012.
- The Postoperative Visual Loss Study Group (large multicenter study – all authors listed in acknowledgements – Robicsek). Risk factors associated with ischemic optic neuropathy after spinal fusion surgery. Anesthesiology 116:15-24, 2012.
- Brophy GM, Mondello S, Papa L, Robicsek S, Gabrielli A, Tepas J, Büki AK, Robertson C, Tortella FC, Hayes RL, Wang KK: Biokinetic analysis of ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolase-L1 (UCH-L1) in severe traumatic brain injury patient biofluids. J Neurotrauma 28:861–870, 2011.
- Przkora R, Euliano TY, Roussos-Ross K, Zumberg M, Robicsek SA: Labor and delivery in a patient with hemophilia B. Int J Obstet Anesth 20:250-253, 2011.
- Mondello, S, Robicsek SA, Gabrielli A, Brophy GM, Papa L, Tepas JJ, Robertson C, Büki A, Scharf D, Jixiang M, Akinyi L, Muller U, Wang KKW, Hayes RL: αII-Spectrin breakdown products (SBDPs): diagnosis and outcome in severe traumatic brain injury patients. J Neurotrauma 27:1203-1213, 2010. [PMID:20408766]2
- Euliano TY, Robicsek SA, Banner MJ: The value of anesthesiology in undergraduate medical education as assessed by medical school faculty. J Educ Perioperative Med 12:1-8, 2010. http://www.asahq.org/jepm/current.html
- Papa L, Akinyi L, Liu MC, Pineda JA, Tepas JJ 3rd, Oli MW, Zheng W, Robinson G, Robicsek SA, Gabrielli A, Heaton SC, Hannay HJ, Demery JA, Brophy GM, Layon J, Robertson CS, Hayes RL, Wang KK: Ubiquitin C-terminal hydrolase is a novel biomarker in humans for severe traumatic brain injury. Crit Care Med 38:138-144, 2010. [PMID: 19726976]3