Lauren Berkow, MD
Clinical Professor for the Division of Neuroanesthesia
Director of Anesthesia Supplies and Equipment
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Phone: (352) 273-8960
Dr. Berkow is an Associate Professor for the Division of Neuroanesthesia and Director of Anesthesia Supplies and Equipment. She comes to us from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, where she served as an Associate Chief for the Division of Neuroanesthesia. Dr. Berkow earned her Bachelor’s at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, and her medical degree at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore. She completed her surgical residency at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles and Nassau County Medical Center in East Meadow, New York. She also completed an anesthesia residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital and earned a Business of Medicine Graduate Certificate from The Johns Hopkins Carey Business School. While working at Johns Hopkins, she held many positions such as Instructor, Assistant Residency Director, and Associate Professor of Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine. Dr. Berkow was also Director of Airway Education at Johns Hopkins and she focuses on difficult airway management in addition to neuroanesthesia. She has written numerous papers and is a member of many professional societies. In 2015, she was presented the Maryland Hospitals for a Healthy Environment Physician for Environmental Health Award. In addition, she has spoken at many events on the topics of “Greening the Operating Rooms” and “Sustainability in Medicine and Anesthesia.”
Education and Training
|2010||Business of Medicine Graduate Certificate||Carey Business School||Baltimore, MD|
|2000||Anesthesia Residency||Johns Hopkins Hospital||Baltimore, MD|
|1997||Surgical Residency||Nassau County Medical Center||East Meadow, NY|
|1996||Surgical Residency||Cedars-Sinai Medical Center||Los Angeles, CA.|
|1994||M.D.||University of Maryland School of Medicine||Baltimore, MD|
|1990||B.A||Cornell University||Ithaca, NY.|
Awards and Honors
- 1986: Bausch and Lomb Honorary Science Award
- 1992: Honorable Mention, Student Community Outreach Award, American Academy of Family Physicians
- 1999: Resident Teacher of the Year, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Department of Anesthesiology
- 2000-2001: Abbott Fellowship
- 2009-2010 Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Leadership Program for Women Faculty
- 2013: Johns Hopkins Anesthesiology Residency Leadership Award
- 2015: Maryland Hospitals for a Healthy Environment Physician for Environmental Health Award
- Fudala PJ, Berkow LC, Fralich JL, Johnson RE “Use of Naloxone in the Assessment of Opiate Dependence.” Life Sciences 1991; 49(24): 1809-14.
- Berkow LC. Strategies for airway management. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2004 Dec; 18(4):531-48.
- Todd MM, Hindman BJ, Clarke WR, Torner JC, Intraoperative Hypothermia for Aneurysm Surgery Trial (IHAST) Investigators. (Berkow L IHAST Investigator) Mild intraoperative hypothermia during surgery for intracranial aneurysm. N Engl J Med 2005; 352:135-45.
- Anderson SW, Todd MM, Hindman BJ, Clarke WR, Torner JC, Tranel D, Yoo B, Weeks J, Manzel KW, Samra S, IHAST Investigators (Berkow L IHAST Investigator). Effects of intraoperative hypothermia on neuropsychological outcomes after intracranial aneurysm surgery. Ann Neurol 2006; 60: 518-27.
- Leira EC, Davis PH, Martin CO, Torner JC, Yoo B, Weeks JB, Hindman BJ, Todd MM, Intraoperative Hypothermia for Aneursym Surgery Trial (IHAST) Investigators. (Berkow L IHAST Investigator). Improving prediction of outcome in “good grade” subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurosurgery 2007; 61: 470-3.
- Morad A, Berkow L. Awake prone positioning of neurosurgical patients with critical cervical spine lesions: a case series. J Neurosurg Anesth 2007; 19(4):351.
- Gottschalk A, Berkow L, Stevens RD, Mirski M, Thompson RE, White ED, Weingart JD, Long DM, Yaster M.. Prospective evaluation of pain and analgesic use following major elective intracranial surgery. J Neurosurg. 2007; 106(2): 210-6.
- Pasternak JJ, Mcgregor DG, Schroeder DR, Lanier WL, Shi Q, Hindman BJ, Clarke WR, Torner JC, Weeks JB, Todd MM, IHAST Investigators (Berkow L IHAST Investigator ). Hyperglycemia in patients undergoing cerebral aneurysm surgery: its association with long-term gross neurologic and neuropsychological function. Mayo Clin Proc 2008; 83: 406-17.
- McGregor BG, Lanier WL, Pasternak JJ, Rusy DA, Hogan K, Samra S, Hindman B, Todd MM, Schroeder DR, Bayman EO, Clarke W, Torner J, Weeks J, Intraoperative Hypothermia for Aneursym Surgery Trial Investigators (Berkow L IHAST Investigator). Effect of Nitrous Oxide on neurologic and neuropsychological function after intracranial aneurysm surgery. Anesthesiology 2008; 108: 568-79.
- Pasternak JJ, McGregor DG, Lanier WL, Schroeder DR, Rusy DA, Hindman B, Clarke W, Torner J, Todd MM, IHAST Investigators (Berkow L IHAST Investigator). Effect of nitrous oxide use on long-term neurologic and neuropsychological outcome in patients who received temporary proximal artery occlusion during cerebral aneurysm clipping surgery. Anesthesiology 2009; 110: 563-73.