Brenda G. Fahy, MD, MCCM
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Dr. Fahy currently serves as the division chief of Critical Care Medicine Anesthesiology at the University of Florida being responsible for critical care clinical services, research efforts and education related to critical care. The division provides clinical coverage in the Neurointensive Care Unit, Burn Unit, Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Trauma Intensive Care Unit, and Cardiac Intensive Care Unit. Dr. Fahy serves as medical director for the Neurointensive Care Unit and program director for the Critical Care Medicine Fellowship as well as the Combined Critical Care Adult Cardiothoracic Fellowship. Her areas of research interests involve studies in the critically ill patient population and multidisciplinary translational research teams and currently she is a coinvestigator on the NIH-funded P50 center grant for the UF Sepsis and Critical Illness Research Center to study the persistent inflammation, immunosuppression and catabolism syndrome (PICS) following sepsis in surgical intensive care unit patients. She also have an interest in education research that encompasses learning techniques including flipped classroom and team based learning. These teaching models have been incorporated in to electroencephalography education and team based emergency responses.
|1990||Fellowship, Critical Care Medicine||University of Maryland||Baltimore, MA|
|1989||Residency, Anesthesiology||University of Maryland||Darby, PA|
|1986||Internship, Internal Medicine||Mercy Catholic Medical Center|
|1985||MD||Thomas Jefferson Medical College||Philadelphia, PA|
Brain Injury, burn, and neurotrauma.
Awards and Honors
|2012-present||President, Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists|
|2007-2012||Society of Critical Care Medicine Presidential Citation|
|2007-2009||Cambridge who’s Who Among Professional Women Physicians, Honors Edition|
|2007||Guide to America’s Top Anesthesiologists, Consumers’ Research Council|
|2006||Guide to America’s Top Physicians, Consumers’ Research Council|
|2005-2010||The Best Doctors in America, Anesthesiology|
|1998||Fellow, American College of Critical Care Medicine|
|1991||Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians|
- Mahanna E, Crimi E, White P, Mann DS, Fahy BG. Nutrition and metabolic support for critically ill patients. Curr Opin Anesthesiol 2015;28:131-138. PMID:25674986
- Kiley S, Cassara C, Fahy BG. Lung Ultrasound in the ICU. J of Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2015;29:196-203. PMID: 2560145
- Fahy BG, Bensalem-Owen M, Vasilopoulos T, Cibula JE, Ozrazgat-Baslanti T, Chau DF. Podcast model for medical student electroencephalogram instruction. Med Sci Educ, in press. DOI: 10.1007/s40670-015-0104-z (February 2015).
- Vasilopoulos T, Chau DF, Bensalem-Owen M, Cibula JE, Fahy BG: Prior podcast experience moderates efficacy of electroencephalography. Anesth Analg (accepted November 2014).
- Billingsley JT, White P, Fahy BG, Hoh BL: Carotid endarterectomy In: Kumar, Kofke, Levine & Schuster, Neurocritical Care Management of the Neurosurgical Patient, 1st Edition, M Kumar (ed) Elsevier, November 2014.
- Hobson C, Dortch J, Ozrazgat Baslanti T, Layon DR, Roche A, Fahy B, Bihorac A. Payer status is associated with treatment allocation and outcomes after non-traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage. PLoS One 9(8):e105124, August 2014. PMID: 25141303
- Fahy BG: Controversies in Critical Care: Glycemic control in American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) Refresher Courses in Anesthesiology, Volume 42. MA Rosenblatt (ed) Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, p 46-54. Philadelphia, PA, 2014.
- Vaught AJ and Fahy BG (2014). Obstetric critical care in Elizabeth B. Mahanna, MD, David W. Schimabukuro, MDCM, Christine A. Doyle, MD and Linda L. Liu, MD (Eds.) Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists SOCCA Residents’ Guide 2014 Edition Introduction to learning in the intensive care unit, 5th edition (pp 229-231). San Francisco, CA, 2014
- Fahy BG: What are the ethical considerations of emergency consent for clinical care and research? In: Critical Care Ethics: A Practice Guide, 3rd Edition, Editor: Thompson DR. Society of Critical Care Medicine; p 99-108, 2014.
- Fahy BG: What do I need to know about ethical issues and conflicts of interest for research and patient care? In Critical Care Ethics: A Practice Guide, 3rd Edition, Editor: Thompson DR. Society of Critical Care Medicine; p 171-180, 2014.