Patrick James Tighe, MD, MS
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Dr. Tighe serves in the Division of Acute Pain Medicine and provides care in the blockroom, acute pain service, and operating room. Additionally, he is the director of the Perioperative Analytics Group. This team applies advanced analytical techniques in an operational clinical environment to improve perioperative data utilization.
Dr. Tighe’s research examines how machine learning algorithms, stochastic process modeling, social network analyses and computer vision can improve processes related to acute postoperative pain and perioperative patient safety. His work is currently supported by a K23 from the National Institute of General Medical Sciences at the National Institutes of Health, and he was recently awarded an R01 slated to begin in July of 2015 to examine the temporal dynamics of postoperative pain. He collaborates with a diverse array of researchers from the Colleges of Engineering, Business, Dentistry, and Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Dr. Tighe serves as section co-editor for the Acute and Perioperative Section of the journal Pain Medicine, and is active in the American Academy of Pain Medicine’s Acute Pain Medicine Special Interest Group.
|2012||MS Clinical and Translational Research||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
|2010||Fellowship, Acute Pain Medicine and Regional Anesthesia||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
|2009||Residency, Anesthesiology||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
|2005||MD||University of Florida College of Medicine||Gainesville, FL|
- Acute pain medicine and regional anesthesia
- Systems-level patient safety
- Machine learning
- Social Networking analysis
- Nonlinear dynamical systems
Current Grants Awarded
Sponsor: NIH K23 Award
Title: Use of Machine Learning Classifiers to Forecast Severe Acute Postoperative Pain Following Cancer Surgery
- Hurley RH, Zhao K, Tighe P, Ko P, Pronovost P, Wu C. Examination of publications from academic anesthesiology faculty in the United States. Anesthesia and Analgesia, 118(1), 192-9. (2014)
- Tighe P, Harle C, Boezaart A, Aytug H, Fillingim R. Of rough starts and smooth finishes: correlations between post-anesthesia care unit and postoperative days 1-5 pain scores. Pain Medicine, 15(2), 306-15. (2014)
- Deal L, Nyland M, Gravenstein N, Tighe PJ. Comparative distributions of computerized, computer-assisted, and manual-entry time records for perioperative events. J Clin Anest. In press. (2014)
- Tighe P, Fillingim R, Hurley R. Geospatial analysis of HCAHPS pain management experience scores in U.S. hospitals. Pain. In press. (2014)
- Upp J, Kent M, Tighe PJ. The evolution and practice of acute pain medicine. Pain Medicine. 14(1), 124–144 (2013).
- Kiley S, Tighe, P, Hajibrahim O, Deitte L, Gravenstein N, Robinson III, A: Retrospective computed tomography mapping of intrapleural air may demonstrate optimal window for ultrasound diagnosis of pneumothorax. J Intensive Care Med. In press. (2013)
- Wendling A, Tighe PJ, Ozrazgat Baslanti T, Horodyski M, Conrad BP, Rectine G: Comparison of four airway devices on cervical spine alignment in cadaver models of global ligamentous instability at C1-2. Anesth Analg. 2013; 117:126-132.
- Tighe PJ, Smith C, Boezaart AP, Lucas SD. Social Network Analysis and Quantification of a Prototypical Regional Anesthesia and Acute Pain Medicine Service. Pain Med. 2012 Jun;13(6):808-19.
- Tighe PJ, Lucas SD, Boezaart AP, Aytug H, Bihorac A. Use of Machine Learning Classifiers to Predict Preoperative Acute Pain Service Consult Request. Pain Med 13, 1347–1357 (2012).
- Tighe, PJ, Brennan, M., Moser, M., Boezaart, AP & Bihorac, A. Primary payer status is associated with the use of nerve block placement for ambulatory orthopedic surgery. Reg Anesth Pain Med 37, 254–261 (2012).
- Wendling AL, Halan S. Tighe P, Le L, Euliano T, Lok B: Virtual humans versus standardized patients: which lead residents to more correct diagnoses? Acad Med. 2011 Mar;86(3):384-8.
- Tighe PJ, Gravenstein N, Rice M: Let’s end the error of the standard error, letter to the editor. Anesth Analg 112:251, 2011.
- Tighe P, Rice KJ, Gravenstein N, Rice MJ: Artifactual increase in journal self citation. Anesth Analg. Anest Analg. 2011 Aug;113(2):378-82.
- Boezaart AP, Tighe PJ. The progression of regional anesthesia into acute and perioperative pain medicine. Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2011 Summer;49(3):104-9.
- Tighe PJ, Laduzenski S, Edwards D, Ellis N, Boezaart AP, Aytug H. Use of Machine Learning Theory to Predict the Need for Femoral Nerve Block Following ACL Repair. Pain Med. 2011 Oct;12(10):1566-75. (Cover, Editorial).
- Tighe PJ, Elliott CE, Lucas SD, Boezaart AP: Noninvasive tissue oxygen saturation determined by near-infrared spectroscopy following peripheral nerve block. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2011 Nov;55(10):1239-46.