Nelson Nicolas Algarra, MD
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology
Department of Anesthesiology
College of Medicine, University of Florida
PO Box 100254
1600 SW Archer Road
Gainesville, FL 32610
Dr. Algarra is a graduate of the University of Kansas for medical school and anesthesiology residency. He is a retired US Army veteran having serve for 23 years. He did his neuro anesthesia fellowship at the University of Washington in Seattle. He joined the University of Florida in 2014 after being in staff at the University of Kansas.
He has a variety of clinical interest including the care of complex neurosurgical patients undergoing open and endovascular procedures, Airway management, total intravenous anesthesia and postoperative cognitive decline. He is a founding member of the Latin Neuro group and is very active in world health care programs that foment increase capacity and broader services.
He is very active in resident education and has interest in using a multimedia for continuous goal oriented resident milestones education.
His research interests include: post operative cognitive decline, traumatic brain injury prevention, treatment and outcome, central nervous system protection, monitoring and resident education outcomes.
|2011- 2012||Fellowship, Neuroanesthesia||University of Washington||Seattle, Washington|
|2009 -2012||Residency, Anesthesiology||University of Kansas Medical School||Kansas City, KS|
|2007||MD||University of Kansas Medical School||Kansas City, KS|
|1993||MS||University of Texas||Houston, TX|
|1991||BS||University of Colorado||Denver, CO|
|1991||BA||Metropolitan State University||Denver, CO|
Awards and Honors
|2011||ASA Multicultural Affairs Grant Recipient|
|2007||Outstanding Preventive Medicine Award|
- Algarra NN, Lele A, Anesthesia for spinal cord injury. In Papadakos P, Gestring M (Eds.). Encyclopedia of Trauma Care. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2015.
- Algarra NN, Lele A, Anesthesia care for intracranial injury. In Papadakos P, Gestring M (Eds.). Encyclopedia of Trauma Care. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2015.
- Algarra NN. A new approach to gathering post intensive care data across an entire health care system. Minerva Anestesiol 81:111-2, 2015.
- Algarra NN, Souter MJ. Intracranial Pressure Monitoring. In Ehrenfeld JM, Cannesson M (Eds). Monitoring Technologies in Acute Care Environments: A Comprehensive Guide to Patient Monitoring Technology. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2014.
- Yasuki F, Algarra NN, Vavilala MS, Prathep S, Suchada P, Sharma D. Intraoperative secondary insults during extracranial surgery in children with traumatic brain injury. Childs Nerv Syst 30:1201-8, 2014.