Cynthia Wilson Garvan, PhD
Research Associate Professor
University of Florida
College of Medicine
Department of Anesthesiology
1600 SW Archer Road
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, Florida 32610-0254
Phone: (352) 273-8954
Cynthia Wilson Garvan, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor in the Dept. of Anesthesiology at the University of Florida (UF) and longtime member of ENAR (Eastern North American Region International Biometric Society). She is the Co-Director of UF’s TRACTS (Training and Research Academy for Clinical and Translational Science) program. She is a Statistical Reviewer for the medical journal, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. She received her M.A. in Mathematics from The Pennsylvania State University and her Ph.D. in Statistics from the University of Florida. She is recognized for her extensive and comprehensive experience in multidisciplinary research, garnering externally funded grants, publishing in diverse fields, teaching excellence, and managing and analyzing complex databases.
|1996||PhD Statistics||University of Florida||Gainesville, FL|
|1986||Masters Mathematics||Pennsylvania State University||PA|
|1981||Bachelors Pure Mathematics||Pennsylvania State University||PA|
Awards and Honors
|2016||Southern Nursing Research Society Research in Nursing & Health Authorship Award|
|Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Award for Excellence as Statistical Reviewer|
|2006||University of Florida Exceptional Educator of the Year|
Selected Conferences, Invited Talks & Presentations
|February 2016||Southern Nursing Research Society||Williamsburg, VA|
|January 2016||Human Amyloid Imaging Meeting & Mild Cognitive Impairment Symposium||Miami, FL|
|December 2015||University of Newcastle, Australian Mathematical Education Symposium||Callaghan, Australia|
|October 2015||Palliative Care in Parkinson’s Disease International Conference||Denver, CO|
|February 2015||Southern Nursing Research Society||Tampa, FL|
- Rothman, K, Garvan, C, Neu, M. Identifying outcomes of early ambulation in the pediatric postoperative appendectomy patient. (2016) Accepted by the Journal of Pediatric Surgical Nursing.
- Cowan, L., Garvan, C., Kent, C., and Stechmiller, J. (2016). How well does the Braden nutrition subscale agree with the VA Nutrition Classification Scheme utilized by dieticians related to pressure ulcer risk? Federal Practitioner (accepted for publication). Manuscript. No. FEDPRAC-D-15-00086R1
- Kluger, B. M., Rakowski, D., Christian, M., Cedar, D., Wong, B., Crawford, J., … & Garvan, C. (2016). Randomized, Controlled Trial of Acupuncture for Fatigue in Parkinson’s Disease. Movement Disorders.
- Behar-Horenstein, L. S., Garvan, C. W., Catalanotto, F. A., Su, Y., & Feng, X. (2016). Assessing Faculty Development Needs among Florida’s Allied Dental Faculty. American Dental Hygienists Association, 90(1), 52-59.
- Ahn, H., Cowan, L., Garvan, C., Lyon, D., & Stechmiller, J. (2016). Risk Factors for Pressure Ulcers Including Suspected Deep Tissue Injury in Nursing Home Facility Residents: Analysis of National Minimum Data Set 3.0. Advances in skin & wound care, 29(4), 178-190.
- Behar-Horenstein, L. S., & Garvan, C. W. (2016). Relationships Among the Knowledge, Efficacy, and Practices Instrument, Color-Blind Racial Attitudes Scale, Deamonte Driver Survey, and Defining Issues Test 2. Journal of dental education, 80(3), 355-364.
- Joshi, A. B., McCormick, Z. L., Sully, K., Garvan, C., & Plastaras, C. T. (2016). Factors That Predict Satisfaction With Medical Care: Data From 27,212 Injured Workers Surveyed for 14 Years. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 58(1), 101-107.
- Bussing, R., Koro-Ljungberg, M., Gurnani, T., Garvan, C. W., Mason, D., Noguchi, K., & Albarracin, D. (2016). Willingness to Use ADHD Self-Management: Mixed Methods Study of Perceptions by Adolescents and Parents. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 25(2), 562- 573.
- McCormick, Z., Kennedy, D. J., Garvan, C., Rivers, E., Temme, K., Margolis, S., … & Plastaras, C. (2015). Comparison of pain score reduction using triamcinolone vs. betamethasone in transforaminal epidural steroid injections for lumbosacral radicular pain. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 94(12), 1058-1064.
- Price, C. C., Levy, S. A., Tanner, J., Garvan, C., Ward, J., Akbar, F., … & Okun, M. (2015). Orthopedic Surgery and Post-Operative Cognitive Decline in Idiopathic Parkinson’s Disease: Considerations from a Pilot Study. Journal of Parkinson’s disease, 5(4), 893-905.