Bruce Davis Spiess, MD, FAHA
Professor and Associate Chair for Research
Department of Anesthesiology
College of Medicine, University of Florida
PO Box 100254
1600 SW Archer Road
Gainesville, FL 32610
Dr. Spiess joins as a Professor and Associate Chair for Research, and comes to us from Virginia Commonwealth University Health Center in Richmond, where he was a Professor in the Department of Anesthesiology. He is a Fellow of the American Heart Association, Diplomate for the American Board of Anesthesiology, and the National Board of Medical Examiners. Dr. Spiess earned his Bachelor’s in Biology at Denison University in Granville, Ohio, and his MD from Rush University in Chicago. He also served as Chief Resident at Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine in Rochester, Minnesota, during his residency. Dr. Spiess was on the Department of Anesthesiology Search Committee to develop new research lines and was Associate Director/Senior Fellow for Johnson Center for Critical Care and Pulmonary Research at Virginia Commonwealth University. He was also a part of the University Search Committee for the Chair Department of Orthopedics. Dr. Spiess is a member of many professional societies and has had many editorial roles such as reviewing for the American Journal of Physiology and more.
|1982-83||Chief Resident, Department of Anesthesiology||Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine||Rochester, MN|
|1980-83||Residency, Department of Anesthesiology||Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine||Rochester, MN|
|1980||MD||Rush University Medical College||Chicago, IL|
|1976||BA – Biology||Denison University||Granville, OH|
Membership in Community Organizations
- Flawless Operative Cardiovascular Unified System (FOCUS)
- Initiative Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists (Director of Steering Committee)
- Friends of the University of Washington Medical Center
- Benjamin Rush Society
- Anchor Cross Society
|2010||Teacher Excellence Award, VCU Department of Anesthesia|
|1996-Present||Best Doctors in America (Awarded every year for 20 consecutive years)|
|2002||America’s Register of Outstanding Professionals|
- White NJ, Contifer D Jr, martin EJ, Newton JC, Mohammed BM, Bostic JL, Brophy GM, Spiess BD, Pusateri AE, Ward KR, Brophy DF.. Early Hemostatic responses to trauma: Identified using hiererarchical clustering analysis. . March 28, 2015 (eprint). doi: 10.1111/jth.12919.
- White NJ, Newton JC, Martin EJ, Mohammed BM, Contaifer D Jr, Bostic JL, Brophy GM, Spiess BD, Pusateri AE, Ward, KR, Brophy, DF. Clot formation is associated with fibrinogen and platelet forces in a cohort of severely-injured emergency Curriculum Vitae – Bruce Davis Spiess, MD, FAHA 15 April 6, 2015 department trauma patients. Shock Molecular, Cellular, and Systemic Pathobiological Aspects and Therapeutic Approaches: The Official Journal of the Shock Society, the European Shock Society, the Brazilian Shock Society, the International Federation of Shock Societies 2015. PMID: 25643013.
- Spiess BD, Rotruck J, McCarthy H, Suarez-Wincosci O, Kasirajan V, Wahr J, Shappell S. Human factors analysis of a near-miss event: Oxygn supply failure during cardiopulmonary bypass. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2015; 29 204-209.PMID 25481389.
- Roderique JD, Van dyke K, Homan B, Tang D, Chui B, Spiess BD. The use of highdose hydroxocobolamin for vasoplegia syndrome. Ann Thorac Surg 2014; 97: 1785-6. PMID: 24792267.
- Maxwell BG, Harrington KB, Banyan JM, Spiess BD. Case 0-2014 Ascending aortic pseudoaneurysm repair with deep hypothermic circulatory arrest in an adult congenital heart disease patient with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. J Cardiothoracic Vasc Anesth 2014; e pub: doi:10.1053/jcva.2013.11.001
- Benzinover D, Spiess BD. Effect of cold perfusion and perfluorocarbon soon ischemia of DCD hepatic grafts. J Surg Res D-13-01695R1.
- Torres LN, Spiess BD, Torres Filho IP. Effects of perfluorocarbon emulsions on microvascular blood flow and oxygen transport in a model of severe arterial gas embolism. J Surg Res 2013; doi: 10.1016/j/jss.2013.08.011. PMID: 2426440.
- Wahr JA, Prager RL, Abernathy JH 3rd, Martinez EA, Salas E, Seifert PC, Groom RC, Spiess BD, Searles BE, Sundt TM, 3rd, Sanchez JA, Shappell SA, Culig MH, Lazzara EH, Fitzgerald DC, Thourani WH, Eghtesady P, Ikonomidis JS, England M, Selke FW, Nussmeier NA; American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing and Council on Quality of Care Outcomes Research. Patient safety in the cardiac operating room; human factors and teamwork: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation 2013; 128: 1139-69. PMID 23918255.
- Torres Filho IP, Pedro JR, Narayanan SV, Nguyen NM, Roseff SD, Spiess BD. Perfluorocarbon emulsion improves oxygen transport of normal and sickle human blood in vitro. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2013; DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.34885. PMID: 23894124.
- Spiess BD. Blood transfusion and infection after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2013; 95:1855-8. PMID 23706420.